Thursday, February 28, 2013

Still discovering, loving and enjoying my new home.

Enjoying the view from the Gardens of La Alhambra


This morning I woke up to an unexpected surprise.... Snow!  While everyone in my household is admiring the beauty and I can hear the children on the streets shouting in excitement, I am probably one of the few sitting here unimpressed.  Ohio has jaded me when it comes to snowfall.  It couldn't have happened though at a better time because today and tomorrow are a holiday for all of Andalusia, don't ask me why (Spaniards can find many excuses to take holidays and just relax) and actually most people here admit it's just an excuse to not go to work.  So I do not have to trek up my hill to school and seeing as how I brought no shoes suited for snow, I may not be venturing out until it's melted.  Actually I lucked out because today I was planning on visiting distant relatives in Sanlucar de Baromedas but after having an exhausting week I decided last minute (last night) not to go in the hopes of sleeping and being a typical Spaniard for my long weekend.  Good thing too since all the stations are closed! I'm also glad to stay here because I have come to love this city more each day that it actually made me sad to think of leaving, even for the weekend.

Well it's been quite an exciting week for me socially and I have spent too many nights out late and up early.  So this morning it felt incredibly good to get a needed 10 hours of sleep!  I will try to spare some typical details of a young person's life in Spain, but our professors say "our group is very nocturnal" so we never lack an inlet into some party with a group of Spaniards or "Erasmus" students (students from other European countries studying here). Friday our group met up with local intercambios (University students who want to practice their English with students wanting to practice their Spanish)  and one of our Professors and went for Tapas in the hopes of actually learning about the culture of Tapas instead of mindlessly eating them like we have every night since.  After three drinks (and food), we were able to get the courage and ask random people at the bars about different drinks, tapas and the local culture of eating and drinking in Granada.  Needless to say, there were many stupid questions asked and our professor enjoyed poking fun at us in our "relaxed" state of mind.  He of course discussed the difference between American and Spanish culture and I realized that asking "what is your favorite bar, or pastry shop etc..." is a very American thing.  Our professor said that the way Americans "measure" the quality of food, places and experiences is very unique to us and Spaniards don't care about the reputation of a place or how good it is, they look at many things as an experiment and enjoy it even if it wasn't that great.  After Tapas (which are free with each drink you get) our Professor took us to a Reggae club and after that it's history.  Our group ended up partying until 4 am and our last stop was a Salsa bar where one of the locals in our group taught me how to Salsa!  I enjoyed that immensely!  Saturday night, I yet again enjoyed Tapas only this time with a Law Student studying here at the University, I met him through mutual friends and found we had many common interests.  Unfortunately he leaves this week to return to Norway to complete his masters in Law upon which he will begin practicing in Norway.  It was a pleasant night and I learned quite a bit about the politics, social setting and views of Norwegians (it's amazing the people you meet here!)  Sunday night was yet again another late, but enjoyable night at a farewell party for an Erasmus student and while it was a lot of fun, Monday morning at 9 am I was sort of regretting my decision to stay out so late.  Needless to say it has been a very social week and it seems here that the party truly never ends.  

Yesterday our group had a tour of the Alhambra with a professor of Art from the University of Granada (along with her very attractive son who she was trying to set up with some of the girls in the group).  I must say to follow, there seems to be a rather playful and unique relationship between mother's and their sons here, it's not the "mom you embarrass me" like in the U.S., but rather they seem to be more genuinely friends and the mother seems to take the liberty of trying to set her son up with a girl she knows (most likely because they want to get their sons out of their houses, since kids here can live with their parents until they're 30!)  The Alhambra was beautiful but rather cold.  The outside is absolutely exquisite and perhaps it's just my impression, but the outside was prettier than the inside.  The arcs and ceilings of the Moorish architecture is quite intricate and beautiful, however I enjoyed the views from the "city" itself and the vast gardens more than the Royal Palace. Like any other sight seeing day it was a rewarding, but exhausting from being on our feet for five hours and it would have been more enjoyable had it not been so cold.  Each time we entered a room, we all huddled together and tried to keep moving so as not to freeze and as soon as Professor Marissa quite talking we would all rush out into the sunlight.  It was a wonderful day though and the whole time I couldn't believe that it I wasn't having a quick tour of this place, I can come back whenever I want to because I live here!  I think that's what surprises me everyday, the realization that I'm not just visiting but actually living here for the next three months.  I can tell it's going to be very hard going back to America, not because I don't want to see my family and friends, but because life here is so captivating and charming that you don't have time to be homesick.  It makes me want to spend the rest of my life seeing the world and continue having so many more wonderful adventures with diverse people.  The social culture here is unique because there are so many students that in one night you can meet someone from Italy, Norway and Barcelona and find that you have many things in common with them.

La Alhambra as seen from Mirador de San Nicolas (right near my school)

Cecilia and I at Manuel de Falla Auditorium for an Independent Music Festival

A view from one of the towers of the Alhambra

Sierra Nevadas from La Alhambra


Granada: I've become so proud of this city and living here!





It has been a truly wonderful week, although I desperately need to catch up on my sleep.  I have been incredibly tempted to fly to Rome one of these weekends since I find myself in the ideal part of the world while all this change in the Church is taking place.  Perhaps in a couple of weeks I will look for a cheap flight and see if I can make it over there for the conclave.  It's mind boggling to think so many people from Spain are able to just get on a plane and hop over to Rome!  Well I hope whoever reads this is still enjoying hearing about Spain and maybe I can convince you to come visit at some point in your life, it's a wonderful country (even if I don't agree with the culture of not working much) and offers so many learning experiences. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Angela! :)
    Really enjoying your posts and pictures! Glad you're having fun and hope it starts getting a little warmer for you. Wish I could visit you but until then have enough fun for both of us :D
    <3 Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO enjoying your writing! Your photos are so beautiful! (You'll be able to cherish your memories in the pictures you've taken - and decorate your place, too!) Angela, it seems you have found quite a place - you seems so happy there! You keep having fun and being young. But get a good coat, and maybe some snow shoes for goodness sake! Hugs, Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say I never pictured Angela staying up partying until 4am! I really enjoyed your stories - the people there sound so unique and interesting that it is no wonder you have been staying out late getting to know them. I hope the weather gets a little warmer - it is a balmy 60 degrees with sunshine in Golden today and I am loving the early spring weather. I am so glad you are happy there and I hope you continue to have such wonderful experiences! With love - K

    ReplyDelete