Our trip to Granada was quite an adventure,especially with all the luggage. It was not lacking in drama, but every inconvenience here seems to add to this adventure.
The bus that took us from our hostel to the bus stop was big, but the poor bus driver had a hard time getting our luggage into the bus and was quite out of breath when we finally took off. When I carried one of the bags into the bus he looked at me, out of breath and sweating, and said "you a strong woman!" The poor guy, I told him Americans don't travel light. After changing busses and driving for an hour our bus was hit by a car, ripping off the front light and part of the body of the bus. It was quite a coincidence because just the previous day I was saying to a friend that I was surprised there weren't more accidents due to the crazy driving. No one was hurt and luckily we were close to a restaurant and pulled into the drive to wait for another bus to come pick us up and take us the rest of the way. So needless to say it was a along trip to Granada!
Madrid is rather flat and barren compared to Granada but the drive here was beautiful as the mountains became visible about two hours outside of Madrid. I must say when we arrived at the bus station, I was full of nerves about meeting my new family. I was one of the last to get picked up by my mother and we quickly began conversing, she speaks absolutely no English! But I was surprised at how I was able to understand her and she hosts students quite a bit, so she knows she has to talk slower in order for me to understand. Her name is Inmaculda and she lives very close to the center of the city. Her daughter Paula, who is my age lives here as we'll as her nephew and mother. Paula is a comfort because she knows some words in English, so those that I have to "act out" she can usually guess what I'm trying to say. I can tell there is going to be a lot of charades these first few weeks. The apartment is simple and very clean, but has enough rooms for everyone to have their own. Upon arriving they made me feel right at home! Inma works during the day and sometimes at night, and her daughter goes to the university and studies criminology. Last night for dinner we got Tapas at two different bars. In Granada when you order a drink the tapas are free and are a good size, so I think it's a pretty good system. It's so much better being in a house because they eat early compared to most people depending on the day, well 9 is still late, but early compared to most spanish families. However spaniards are Very food oriented, so even when you tell them you are full, they offer you more and more, and it's very hard to say no when they are trying so hard to make you feel at home. Most homes don't have central heating, so last night was rather cold and I wore long underwear, a sweater and my robe to bed. However they eat in the same room where they watch tv and under the dining table is A heater, so most of the time is spent in the living room with your feet under the table. But I'm still looking forward to warmer weather!
Today the nephew, Julio, walked me to school, it's about a 30 minute walk, but the last 10 minutes are straight up hill into the neighborhood of the Albaicin which has a direct view of the Alhambra. Its absolutely breath taking! After arriving to the university out of breath and rather sweaty, I reunited with the 15other students of the program which was so nice! After spending the whole trip so far With them, it was a little nerve racking to be with total strangers last night, on top of not knowing half of what your family tells you. Traveling alone to another country, you create strong bonds with other Americans fast! Our professors are wonderful and insist we speak in Spanish at school, at home, to our parents if we can and more importantly with each other. It's a challenge, but already I can tell my confidence is stronger because I have no other option than to make mistakes in Spanish and learn.
After an oral exam for Spanish placement I returned home, on my own mind you, to have lunch with my family. Oh, I don't think there is any way I won't gain weight here, we had pasta carbonara, with bread, wine and salad smothered in olive oil. Ohhhh was it good! The cousin is a cook at a tapas bar, so he does most of the cooking. Every meal involves bread, I don't even remember this much bread when I visited Italy! But I will be walking everywhere, so maybe it will cancel out some of this bread. Ya right!
Well tonight I return to school for a tour of the city and then dinner with my family. Tomorrow we begin Spanish class and being Friday, I imagine I will tag along with my sister to the bars. The night life for young people is very popular here!
Hast Luego!

Awesome! We're enjoying your travels and adventures!!
ReplyDelete